This year has been wonderful – it has marked the start of my blogging adventure and so far I am loving it. Having the opportunity to see so many shows has been a complete joy and privilege and my fingers are crossed that 2018 can live up to such high expectations!! I have truly discovered the magic of regional theatre this year and I have learnt that it most definitely is not a step down from the west-end. Its been so wonderful to see some of my all time favourite shows touring. Having said that, I will always love a trip to the West-End.
Here are my top 10 shows of 2017 (in no definite order as that was just too tricky).
10. Cinderella @ Belgrade Theatre, Coventry – This one just had to make the list as it was such a fun-filled belly-laugh-inducing evening. (Full Review)
9. RENT @ UK Tour (Belgrade) – I’d only ever seen the film of RENT prior to biting the bullet and booking myself a ticket for the tour. Having hated the film I was very surprised to be completely won over by this production. (Full Review)
8. The Addams Family @ UK Tour (MK Theatre) – Having been a bit of a skeptical Negative Nancy about this tour I was yet again very pleasantly surprised!! The modern choreography and talented ensemble in this production really stood out and I was completely won over. (Full Review)
7. School of Rock @ New London Theatre, London – I’ve seen this 4 times in 2017 so I think that sums up my feelings towards it! I’ve always loved the film and the musical most definitely lives up to expectations. Its catchy, its funny and I felt like I was in a real rock concert – what more could you want?! (Full Review)
6. Jersey Boys @ Piccadilly Theatre, London – I had to catch this before it left the West-End. I absolutely love this show. In terms of jukebox musicals, you can’t beat it. I’ll definitely be buying tickets for the UK Tour next year! (Full Review)
5. Billy Elliot @ UK Tour (B’ham Hippodrome) – Another classic and all time favourite of mine. This show is so gritty and heartwarming and will forever remain as one of my favourite musicals. (Full Review)
4. Miss Saigon @ UK Tour (Curve Leicester) – Again, an all time favourite. The production team have done an absolutely spectacular job bringing this production to life on regional stages. Nothing has been watered down which is a joy to see. A musical theatre masterpiece. (Full Review)
3. The Girls @ Phoenix Theatre, London – My biggest regret when it comes to this musical is that I only saw it once. I’ve never cried more at the theatre than I did here but I left with a heart full of pride and happiness. I can’t wait to see this show again. (Full Review)
2. Waitress @ Brookes Atkinson Theatre, Broadway – I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so much in the theatre in all my life as I did here. Its heartwarming, hilarious and empowering. Spotify must think I have some kind of crazy ridiculous obsession and they’d be right. Here’s hoping for a London transfer ASAP. (Full Review)
- Half a Sixpence @ Noel Coward Theatre, London – This musical is the definition of joy. It was just so wonderful in so many ways with a stellar cast, gorgeous set and stunning choreography. It deserved so much more recognition than it got and it is a complete travesty that it had such a short run. I’m praying for a UK tour. (Full Review)
Special mentions go to: Sunset Boulevard (UK Tour), Scrooge (Curve Leicester), Book of Mormon (Prince of Wales), Shirley Valentine (UK Tour), Curious Incident (Gielgud Theatre), Our Ladies (Duke of York’s Theatre), Top Hat (Kilworth House Theatre). There are so many more that I LOVED but this list is just getting ridiculously long.
Thank you 2017 and here’s to 2018!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Discover more on THEATRESS